Celebrate the 431st birthday of Virginia Dare on Saturday, August 18th, with events all day at Ft. Raleigh National Historic Site! Virginia Dare Faire will be held outside of the Fort Raleigh Visitor Center from 10AM to 1PM. The event is offered in partnership with the National Park Service and the Roanoke Island Historical Association. This event is sponsored by First National Bank.
Activities for Virginia Dare Faire are free of charge and open to children of all ages:
- Create coil pots from clay, learn net weaving and shoot bow and arrows with The Lost Colony actors portraying Native American Indians
- Be entertained by The Lost Colony choir and watch street dancing and fight demos performed by cast members in costume
- Take your photo with Queen Elizabeth, Ananias and Eleanor Dare and other cast members
- Other fun activities include balloon animals, coloring, face painting, hula hoop, sack races and other games
- Fun watercolor activity by National Park Service
- Celebrate Virginia Dare’s birth with free birthday cake at 12:00PM, provided by Harris Teeter
The Celebration of Virginia Dare’s birthday continues that night at The Lost Colony performance!
Virginia Dare Night at The Lost Colony is one of the most beloved performances of the year. Each year, babies audition to participate in scenes of the performance. For 2018, we have 12 babies for our live baby night – Saturday, August 18 and Monday, August 20 will each feature 6 live babies. Many Dare County families boast generations of Virginia Dare babies! Virginia Dare Night is sponsored by First National Bank.